Playwright Chantal Bilodeau is the founder and artistic director of the Arctic Cycle organization and close friend and collaborator of host, Jen Vellenga.
Chantal dives into her impactful work as a storyteller who uses theatre to encourage communities to take action on local and global climate change.
Through our initiatives – the Plays, Artists & Climate Change, Climate Change Theatre Action, and the Incubator –we are committed to supporting artists who work at the intersection of arts and climate change, and to telling stories that help all of us move forward with purpose and hope.
- Aggie Peterson/Frost
- Where are you calling from?
- How we met
- Where were you in the Arctic Cycle when we started working together?
- What’s a day in your life? Has it been changed by the pandemic?
- Can you take us through the Arctic Cycle up until the new Iceland project?
- What do you do for a living?
- Do you make money?
- Is your lifestyle now different from how you grew up?
- What were you expected to do as a career and for college?
- How did you get into playwriting?
- Did your family support this passion and journey?
- Did you fully understand what taking loans out for college would be like?
- Did you have a backup plan?
- What was the biggest risk you took?
- What are the rewards you’ve gotten that would surprise your younger self?
- Are you fulfilled by your career?
- Is it hard to make sacrifices for your career?
- Do you think you’ve “made it”?
- Are you a “starving artist”? Or celebrity?
- Who inspired you? See it to be it.
- Do you have any advice for curious listeners?
- Do you have any recommendations for listeners?
- What’s the best way for listeners to connect with you?
- What was your favorite meal on any of our journeys?
- “In my extended family, I’m one of the few to have actually gone to university, and I’m maybe the only one with a Master’s degree.”
- “I was always the only artistic one in my family–no one knew what to do with that. Neither did I.”
- “I get to travel a lot because I’m invited by different organizations, conferences.”
- “I have contributed in bringing awareness of climate change to the arts.”
- “If it’s not out there, make it for yourself.”
- “You have to stop waiting for people to give you what you want, you have to create it yourself.”
FOLLOW THE DYBP PODCAST
DYBP graphic design © 2020 by
DYBP theme song, “Ditch” © 2020 by Dean Keith