Alison Franck (CSA) is a casting professional with over 20 years of Broadway, Off-Broadway, Touring, Regional Theatre, TV, Film, Commercial and Voice Over Casting experience. For a decade, she was the Casting Director for the prestigious regional theatre Paper Mill Playhouse in New Jersey, where she cast over 50 productions with some of the theatre community's finest talent. Notable credits at Paper Mill include the Broadway transfer of I’m Not Rappaport starring Judd Hirsch and Ben Vereen, Anything Goes starring Chita Rivera, The Baker’s Wife starring Alice Ripley, The Chosen starring Theodore Bikel and John Lloyd Young, Baby starring La Chanze, Norm Lewis, Carolee Carmello, Michael Rupert and Chad Kimball, The Full Monty with Elaine Stritch, The Importance of Being Earnest with Lynn Redgrave, and was the original Casting Director behind the Broadway transfer of Godspell, which included Telly Leung and Uzo Aduba. He effectively translates data in a way that is meaningful to creatives talent and has become a respected leader in audience growth and producing data-informed creative. He has lead Audience Development for large traditional media companies (e.g., Warner Bros. and NBC Universal) as well as innovative digital leaders (e.g., Machinima, Mitu and New Form).
- Where are you calling from?
- How do you characterize your career?
- Casting Society of America
- Michael Cassara
- EPA – Equity Principal Auditions
- Paper Mill Playhouse
- Johnson-Liff Casting
- Big (the musical)
- Lynn Kressel
- Suzanne Ryan
- Jeffery Johnson
- Tara Rubin
- Andrew Zerman
- Ron LaRosa
- Jamibeth Margolis
- Jill Greenberg
- LateLine (TV series)
- Freaks and Geeks
- CastIt Talent
- What are Breakdown Services?
- Is your lifestyle now different from how you grew up?
- Did your family support your path?
- Did you have a back-up plan?
- What has been the biggest risk in your career?
- Have you “made it”?
- Who did you have to see to know that you could have the career you have now? See it to be it.
- Do you have artistic recommendations for listeners?
- How should listeners follow or connect with you?
- “I was trained for nothing–I had no life skills.”
- “Even professional actors have off-days.”
- “I remember my good auditions, but I remember the bad ones more. And as a Casting Director, I see people audition badly all the time, and I forget–unless it’s mean-spirited or lazy…I just think we don’t hold on to it the way people think we do.”
- “Not everybody’s cut out for the audition they receive. Not everyone’s going to nail it. And that same person who doesn’t nail today, go in for another job tomorrow and book it.”
- “The process changes for me all the time. Casting is not cut-and-dry–there are rules…but there are also things that change. How we do this and how we treat people changes.”
- “A lot of things change when you decide to go on tour.”
- “Anytime you choose to do something uncomfortable, it’s a risk.”
FOLLOW THE DYBP PODCAST
DYBP graphic design © 2021 by
DYBP theme song, “Ditch” © 2020 by Dean Keith