Elsie Escobar is a 14 year veteran in the podcasting industry and inductee to the Academy of Podcasters Hall of Fame. She is the co-founder of She Podcasts, a podcasting community for women + non-binary that has over 19 thousand members with a corresponding podcast and conference. She's a podcasting advocate, pundit and mentor to primarily women podcaster leaders. She also has an MFA in Acting! Elsie is Libsyn’s Community Manager and co-host/producer of The Feed: The Official Libsyn Podcast Elsie loves to drive dialogue in the podcasting industry focusing on podcasts’ impact on society, diversity, and culture as well as their power to drive social change.
- What’s inside:
- Where are you calling from?
- What are all of the hats that you wear in your job today?
- What was your journey to get to Libsyn?
- How do you think your training as an actor helped you with the job you do now?
- What trends do you notice with women’s voices and podcasting?
- Have you “made it”?
- What are you listening to and watching?
- How should listeners follow or connect with you?
- What’s inside:
- “The majority of my job is keeping a pulse on what’s happening out there, advocating for the voices of podcasters–particularly independent podcasters–forging partnerships with folks”
- “Podcasting gave me the opportunity to have my own personal stage.”
- “Podcasting gave me the ability to use my voice, the ability to have creative control.”
- “I realized, ‘These things are missing,’ so I just started to do them…I built my job based on needs. I essentially built my position.”
- “Everyone needs to go to grad school.”
- “Teaching yoga gave me a stage, I was literally on stage every time I taught because those classes were very thematic.”
- “I have found the skill of listening to myself to be quite the powerful thing.”
- “In the podcast industry, there is still judgement–not just from men, but from everyone–about women’s voices. We tend to really like one style of voice and not like others. The End.”
FOLLOW THE DYBP PODCAST
DYBP graphic design © 2021 by
DYBP theme song, “Ditch” © 2020 by Dean Keith